-Volunteer Child Life Specialist/Play Therapist wanted in Laos, Laos
Closing date: 01 Mar 2018
Lao Friends Hospital for Children (LFHC) is a 30-bed acute pediatric hospital situated on the campus of Luang Prabang Provincial Hospital. LFHC is a teaching hospital offering emergency, inpatient, outpatient and surgical services to babies and children throughout Northern Lao. Limited on-site radiology, pathology and pharmacy together with a homecare program complement these clinical activities. A major goal of LFHC is to promote the clinical learning and professional development of the local staff such that key positions within the hospital are progressively filled by a well-trained and dedicated local workforce.
The volunteer Child Life Specialist would work with the Laotian clinican, with the main responsibilities being clinical supervision and teaching. Education is necessary on the principles and implementation of comfort positioning, distraction techniques, procedural preparation and therapeutic play. The position would ideally require a minimum of 1 month commitment, longer commitments preferred and much appreciated.
This is a unique opportunity for those looking to gain international public health & clinical experience in a developing/lesser-developed country setting. Luang Prabang is a quiet and charming tourist-friendly town along the banks of the Mekong River. There are plenty of opportunities for weekend sightseeing trips in the surrounding area.
• Registered in home country; Child Life/Play Specialist experience essential.
• Teaching and supervising experience.
• Committed to providing compassionate care to patients and families.
• Ability to interact with people from various countries and backgrounds with tact, diplomacy and cultural sensitivity.
• Demonstrated leadership, integrity, and a confidence–inspiring attitude.
• Experience practicing care in a low or middle-income country would be a plus, but not essential.
This is a volunteer position with a preferred 1 month minimum commitment up to 6 months.
Please note that the volunteer is responsible for all flights, accommodation and food costs.
HOW TO APPLY:
Job posted on 22 September 2017.
Please mention Ethical jobs while applying for this position.